Recipe – Whole Roasted Herb John Dory
Guest post from Jack Munn @Umami_Jam
Some interesting content incoming! Pesky Fish have asked me to create 12 recipes using fish that’s perfectly in season for this time of year, aligning them with fresh ingredients also at the peak of their season.
To kick things off, I’ve made this super simple Whole Roasted Herb John Dory. Packed with roasted new potatoes and crispy samphire, you have to try this recipe.
Let us know how you get on by tagging us on Instagram.
Serves: 2 people
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
1kg-1.2kg whole John Dory
500g new potatoes
For the marinade:
1tbsp lemon zest & a squeeze of juice
3 garlic cloves
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
2. First create the marinade. Add all the ingredients, apart from the olive oil, to a blender. After 20 seconds of blending, very slowly add olive oil until it creates a smooth green sauce (like the vid on this post). Set aside.
3. Chop the new potatoes in half and boil for 10 minutes. Drain and let steam for 2 minutes. Add the samphire and a dollop of the marinade, mixing together until covered.
4. Pat the John Dory dry and generously season with salt and pepper. Rub the remaining marinade over the John Dory and inside the cavity.
5. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Arrange the potatoes and samphire around the fish and roast for 25 minutes. Once cooked, rest for 5 minutes.
6. Serve up plates of potatoes and the crispy samphire. Use a knife and fork to gently slide the white meat from the bones.