HR & Finance Manager
We are seeking a part-time HR & Finance manager, who will take on full ownership and management of the essential day-to-day functions of the business
Pesky Fish is reinventing the seafood supply chain to create a more sustainable industry for fish, fishermen and consumers.
We are currently delivering the country’s fastest, freshest fish (as little as 6 hours to London), returning thousands of incremental value to local fishermen, while building the digital platform to allow fisherman and chefs to trade directly from the boat.
How you will add huge value
We are a team of 25 (and growing!); we work with a fleet of over 20 boats landing their catch to us across Devon and Northumberland; and we sell to a customer base of 100’s of restaurants/wholesalers and 1000’s of home consumers. As our HR and Finance manager, you will ensure that at all times we are trading effectively, legally and ethically - taking on full management of;
- Managing onboarding for new starters into the business; preparing contracts, inductions and taxation setup.
- Developing and supporting the business with good employment practice and any disciplinary procedures required, liaising with employment law advisors where required.
- Ensure all pension auto-enrolments are registered and communicated within set windows.
- Oversee storage of all personnel data, ensuring confidentiality and periodic auditing.
- Working with line managers within the business to advertise, shortlist, interview and onboard candidates for vacancies. Ensuring that all applicants are well informed throughout process.
- Managing advertising posts (Indeed, Reed, LinkedIn etc), measuring candidate yield vs cost to determine most effective channels to use.
- Collate timesheets for variable hours members of the team.
- Use payroll system to generate and distribute payslips, calculating tax and deductions as required, and executing transactions.
- Ensure all HMRC and pension submissions are completed accurately.
- Managing all our suppliers, with effective purchase order systems for packaging, aquaculture products, capital expenditure and general supplies.
- Open and maintain trade accounts with new suppliers when required.
Boat/Producer Account Management
- We work on behalf of our fishermen, and guaranteeing they are paid promptly and fairly for their catch is at the heart of the relationship.
- You will oversee all financial remuneration to the fleet; including generation of weekly statements, dealing with enquiries, facilitating ad-hoc requests, and executing payments to boats.
- Overseeing all legal landings reporting required, through ERS submissions, prior to payment.
Customer Accounts and Credit Control
- Working with an administration controller, to oversee all debtor communications. Including effective and timely invoicing, statement production, remittance requests, and query resolution – ensuring our ledger is accurate and up to date.
- Determine and implement procedures for assessing credit-worthiness of potential customers, ensuring all checks and agreements are in place prior to trade.
- Work closely with our Finance Officer and our accountants to achieve and provide fast, thorough and meaningful insight to Pesky’s performance.
- Ensure we are fully compliant with all bookkeeping, reporting and companies’ house submissions.
What we’ll be looking for
- In depth knowledge and experience of administration, HR and finance processes – that you can implement in a medium and growing business.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organisational skills.
- Management and coaching – you will have a direct report to assist with your deliverables.
- Be a strong advocate – you will need to ensure that good administrative discipline is instilled among the wider company. Training and support to others will be essential.
- Be flexible, a fast learner and very hands-on. Pesky is a fast-growing start-up with a small enthusiastic team, so you will often find yourself jumping on board with other tasks, and responding to new and unforeseen challenges or areas of opportunity.
- Computer fluent and adept at learning new systems
- Have a genuine interest in sustainability within the fishing industry.
A few more details
- Competitive salary. pro-rata for part time.
- Ability to work from home, but with travel to our ports and head office as required.
- 20 hours per week across Monday-Friday, in general with hours set at your discretion, catering for business meetings as required.
- Chance to work as part of a fast paced, super dynamic start-up with a young and passionate team
- The most delicious fish!